Top 11 online learning platforms that should be tried by everyone in 2022
To access online learning nowadays, all you need is an Internet connection. Within the last couple of years, learning forms have undergone a significant transition. Digital education is gradually becoming the new standard as a result of the development of online learning.
You can learn anytime and wherever you want with e-learning, and it usually costs considerably less than conventional learning. It's now possible to learn anything from coding to cooking from the comfort of your home with just a few mouse clicks.
Almost every skill you want to learn is available through a number of online learning platforms. To assist you in selecting the best online learning platform, we meticulously researched all of the important features of each learning platform and included only the absolute best in our list. So, without further ado, here is our comprehensive list of the best online learning platforms.
With more than 60 million registered users, Coursera is an online learning platform that provides super high-quality online training courses. It offers over 3,900 courses and specializations developed in conjunction with over 200 institutions and universities. While collaborating with world-class academic institutions and businesses, it offers students the option to get credentials from elite universities by enrolling in their premium courses.
- Offers a multitude of learning alternatives and options
- A massive community of learners
- Each course is well-structured and of high quality from reputable universities
- Provides students with various sorts of certifications and degrees that are accredited by employers or companies
- Offers financial aid to unemployed and low-income learners from developing countries
- Follows a traditional academic learning style similar to school and universities
- Course topics are limited to mostly business, tech and science areas
- Some courses start and end on specific schedule
- The peer reviewing process of some assignment take too much time which could increase the monthly recurring cost
Coursera is comparable to the majority of other online learning platforms, with the crucial distinction that completing courses on this platform will result in the awarding of recognized degrees and certifications. Individual courses, specialized courses, and degree programs are available, as are on-demand video lectures, homework activities, peer-reviewed submissions, and online discussion forums. Stanford, Yale, University of Pennsylvania, Imperial College London, and organizations such as IBM and Google have all authorized courses on this network. As a result, Coursera is ideal for both students and professionals.
No matter if you're a student, a young professional, or a firm trying to expand the learning of its personnel, you can learn a great deal of expertise on Coursera thanks to its vast range of alternatives.
Coursera is free to join, and several of the courses on the site are also free. Nevertheless, each specialization or professional degree is distinct and has its own monthly pricing structure, with the lowest starting at $40. You will be charged every month for the duration of your enrollment.
Skillshare is another well-known online learning community with over 4 million students and up to 27,000 classes on a wide range of topics. It's excellent for artists and creative types, but with such a massive database of programs, most individuals and businesses can benefit from Skillshare as well. Courses range in length from 20 to 60 minutes and are comprised of a series of short videos, class assignments, and a student forum that fosters participation through discussion boards.
- Offer a wide range of courses on diverse subjects.
- Membership provides unlimited access to all the available classes
- Provides the option to take many courses for the same price
- Class content limited to only four categories (Business, Creative, Lifestyle, and Technology)
- No certificate of completion or any other formal recognition
On Skillshare, each of the courses can be located under one of these four umbrella headings: Business, Creative, Lifestyle, and Technology. Because none of the classes are certified, there are no credentials to be obtained. However, the goal of Skillshare is not to become accredited, but rather to obtain practical understanding that you may subsequently apply professionally.
Even though there are numerous courses, they are all structured in the same way. Each session lasts between 30 and an hour and is broken up into logical sections to make it easy to read and explore. You can start and stop a lesson whenever it is convenient for you. Because the site is a community, you can also interact with other participants and obtain support or advice when you really need it. Many sessions are designed by well-known and accomplished professionals in their respective areas, giving you the opportunity to learn from the finest.
Aside from exclusive courses, Skillshare also provides workshops, in which you partake according to a predetermined timetable and learn from a trainer alongside other participants.
Signing up for Skillshare is completely free, and some of the courses are also free. Although, if you want to have total access to anything on the site and remove adverts, you must pay a monthly charge. You only have to pay the site's standard monthly fee, and then you'll have access to all it has to provide. Following a free trial period of 14 days, the cost of having access to all of the courses is either $32 per month or $168 per year.
MasterClass is a premium platform for online learning. Its courses draw on celebrity skills and experience, such as Gordon Ramsey's cooking prowess and Anna Wintour's leadership skills, to give in-depth training on a broad range of topics.
- World-class instructors
- Memberships give unlimited access to all classes
- High-quality video production
- Courses have a comprehensive curriculum
- 30-day satisfaction guarantee
- Courses feature a consistent level of quality
- Doesn’t provide a free trial or free courses
- No certifications
- Fewer number of courses than competitors
The chance to acquire new skills from renowned experts is the primary key selling point of MasterClass. Although MasterClass provides more than simply creative classes, its hallmark programs are those in which A-list actors, authors, painters, musicians, and others teach. If you like someone in your field, MasterClass may be the best method to learn straight from them. These courses are video-based, with practical advice and examples mixed with basic lectures, workbooks, and group discussions.
MasterClass classes span a variety of subjects, including:
- Design & Style
- Sports & Gaming
A monthly subscription allows you to take as many MasterClasses and other courses as you like. The cost for full access is roughly $15 per month, but learners must sign up for a year at once.
4. LinkedIn Learning
LinkedIn Learning, previously Lynda.com, is an educational portal that provides professional courses in business, technology, and creative professions via video lectures. The platform is a paid service for LinkedIn members that offers over 16,000 courses in 7 languages and helps people invest in their professional growth. Much of LinkedIn Learning's content is free, including classes in digital networking, job pitching, and lead creation.
- Highly known and valued in the B2B community
- Includes a one-month free trial
- Provides individualized course suggestions for users
- Offers accreditation upon course completion
- Allows you to check your progress via quizzes
- Has offline learning access to learn on the go
- The quality of the courses it offers is dubious, and you should do some study before registering.
- Becoming an instructor may be difficult.
LinkedIn Learning's key advantage is that it is run by LinkedIn, the world's largest networking platform for professionals. LinkedIn Learning, as you expected, concentrates on career growth.
It permits you to learn on your own schedule by viewing snippets or enrolling in more advanced courses with more relevant information. The majority of classes on LinkedIn Learning are developed by industry analysts, making them extremely beneficial to all professions. You will also have the opportunity to acquire a certificate that will be posted to your LinkedIn page, increasing your value in the eyes of potential recruiters.
There is a significant number of free courses available through LinkedIn Learning; however, a paid membership is required to access the higher-quality courses and other services, such as Learning Paths. For students, LinkedIn Learning offers two membership plans:
- Monthly: 1-month free trial then $15/month
- Annually: 1-month free trial then $180/month
edX is widely recognized as one of the most effective learning platforms for students that are highly motivated. It is a learning portal where students can discover online courses from a variety of universities. It was founded by a group of academics from Harvard and MIT with the purpose of offering online university-level education to people all around the world.
Over 8,000 high education courses and whole programs across a wide range of scientific disciplines are available through the open-source portal edX. What distinguishes edX is that it is a non-profit company that utilizes an open-source platform to allow developers to design and test courses. They focus primarily on the sciences, including engineering, computer science, data science, mathematics, the humanities, business, and management. There are also Master's Degree and MicroMasters programs available, which allow students to earn legitimate academic credits at a wide range of US universities.
- Offer super quality courses from leading institutions like Harvard and MIT
- Courses are highly accredited and comes with recognized certificate of completion
- Interactive online classes that encourage student’s participation
- Anyone can audit courses for free
- Students who are struggling financially can apply for financial aid
- The discussion forums seem to be outdated and difficult to navigate
- The number of total courses and subject area covered in this platform is limited in comparison to other online learning platforms
Here are a few of 2022's best edX courses:
- Analytics: Essential Tools and Methods
- Project Management
- Artificial Intelligence
- Data Science
It has a wide range of courses for people of all ages who want to learn something new or get better at something they really want to know. Leading universities such as Berkeley, Boston University, Harvard, and MIT all have courses on edX.
Because edX provides courses from universities, each program has a different price based on its duration or difficulty. The price varies from $50 to even $1750. The premium and free courses have the same content, the only distinction is that when you subscribe for the course, you get full access and a credential if you pass the exam.
PluralSight offers in-depth academic programs in a wide range of technological fields both for working professionals and those hoping to move into emerging tech jobs. Pluralsight has over 1,500 industry professionals who have built thousands of courses that are utilized by both professionals and big companies. PluralSight offers courses on all subjects, including software development, IT operations, information security, and cyber security.
- Each course can also be accessed offline, as Pluralsight permits downloads
- Pluralsight's learning paths make the learning simple and easy to follow from start to finish
- Helps to align the learning experience with your goals to make the whole process more comfortable
- Can't filter/sort on ratings
- Chatting support is available only to premium users
- A little bit of lag in updating progress through a course
Pluralsight has a wide variety of courses to pick from, however, the platform is primarily focused on IT/tech courses. You can launch a career in cybersecurity, IT networking, coding, software development, web development, and other fields by studying on Pluralsight. The courses are well-organized and filled with pertinent, high-quality material. In addition, following the completion of each course, you will obtain a certificate.
Even though none of these are cheap, it ends up being good enough to justify it because each course is so intricate. Pluralsight categorizes all of its plans into two categories: Skill and Flow. The price of a skills plan begins at $159 per year. The standard flow plan is $499 per year.
Udemy is among the most well-known online course platforms. With over 185,000 online video courses, this educational network has over 40 million users. Anyone can create courses on Udemy, giving people the opportunity to learn new skills. In doing so, it provides a variety of online learning resources such as PDF documents, PowerPoint presentations, text, and video content, among many others. What's the best part? All of the items are available permanently for streaming or downloading. Furthermore, if you are dissatisfied with what you have learned, they will provide a complete refund within 30 days of purchase!
- The most resourceful and biggest online learning platform right now
- Offers huge number of courses on numerous topics which is rare on other online platforms
- Geared towards self-paced learning and video courses
- Offer courses on minimal cost
- Lifetime access of the purchased course
- Significant amount of student engagement
- Anyone can make courses with their perfected skill and sell them.
- Instructor has the option to provide free coupons
- Both the website and mobile app are fast and easy to use
- Comes with 30-day money-back guarantee
- Ratings are fully disclosed and organized
- Offers several videos for preview
- Students can consult with the instructor through the native Q/A system
- It is advised to do some research before enrolling, as the updated time of courses are not transparent
- Some instructors take time to answer the question in the Q/A section
- Learning visibility depends on your own, the platform only promotes courses that are already popular
Among all online learning sites, Udemy has the most impressive array of individual courses. This platform is focused on making it efficient and easy for people to acquire new skills, and that is why the courses are in digital form.
You obtain an Udemy certificate for finishing the course, but it is not one that is formally acknowledged by employers, thus the site, like Skillshare, is primarily about acquiring hands-on experience.
There are a lot of free courses, but most of the specialized courses cost money. The pricing varies for each course, and the course instructor determines whether it is free or paid.
Considering the number of online learning platforms that are available, it might be challenging to choose the best one. Simplilearn, in reality, has something intriguing to offer its consumers.
Simplilearn provides its users with over 400 approved courses. The courses are of excellent quality and will equip learners with important, and maybe career-changing, information. However, all of the courses on the site are paid, and the offered courses are limited in numbers.
- Accredited certificates
- Live instructor-led training (ILT) sessions available in a flexible array of batches
- Online sandbox CloudLabs eliminates maintenance, configuration issues
- High-quality courses
- Expert instructors
- Blended learning options
- Accessing CloudLabs segments is unnecessarily complex
- Small variety of courses
- Somewhat pricey, especially for self-paced courses
Simplilearn stands apart in a number of ways. To begin, the firm provides Flexi-Pass courses, which contain both self-paced online lessons and (many) batches of live, instructor-led training (ILT) sessions. These Flexi-Pass courses contain projects, which are industry-ready assignments that learners can test and create in an upkeep online sandbox called CloudLabs. Finally, Simplilearn has a completion rate of approximately seven in ten (68 percent), which is higher than the ten percent average for comparable online course systems. Overall, Simplilearn provides a unique online platform for professionals wishing to study for and finish certification tests.
In the field of data science and analytics, Datacamp is a leading online learning community. It has more than 350 courses taught by 260+ experts from Datacamp and other top universities, such as Duke University. It uses four-step methods to help people learn: assess, learn, practice, and apply. This allows people to get well-rounded learning.
- Good for beginners
- Possibility to easily switch from one course to another
- Constant updates of the content
- Convenient interface for practice, no special software is required
- Digestible and easy to follow
- Great UX
- The cheapest way to break into the business
- No hidden fees
- Go from 0 to confident in Python, SQL, and R faster than other methods
- It May not be good for middle or advanced users
- No degree or certificate
- Little applicable theory
- Some of the material is hit or miss
Datacamp courses are designed to be engaging, with many videos and fascinating assignments to perform. The courses are interesting and the bite-sized design appeals to novices and learners searching for active material. Its courses and track programs are centered on acquiring new skills and pursuing new career options.
The service offers a variety of classes, most of which are focused on R, Python, and SQL, but there are also classes on Spreadsheets, BI, Tableau, and other topics. These courses can be completed alone or as part of skill or career paths.
A monthly or yearly subscription to the platform is available, and this can be canceled at any time. Individual learners can select one of three personal programs. The Free account ($0), the Standard account ($25 per month), or the Premium account ($33.25 per month).
So, if you want to improve or extend your data and statistical abilities, Datacamp may be the appropriate online platform for you.
Codecademy is one of the top online learning platforms for programmers, offering free accessibility to over a hundred courses in all programming languages. It has been around for nearly seven years and has over 45 million users. It is intended for amateurs who wish to learn frontend and backend languages such as CSS, HTML, Java, Python, PHP, Ruby, Sass, React.js, SQL, and many more.
- Beginner-friendly courses
- Free resources
- Active community
- Projects and quizzes
- Instant feedback
- The course materials are best suited for beginners; advanced learners will find little to value.
- It's hard to move between tabs and lessons.
- Don’t have the feature to skip lessons
- The lack of video material is a major limitation
- Only paid plans are offered, which means no free trial is available to explore
As most programming languages, particularly backend languages, are exceedingly difficult for beginners, you have to admire how Codecademy has made learning them really simple and straightforward. Even though the fundamental classes are completely free, they are quite informative and simple to follow.
Codecademy offer courses in the 10 following subject areas:
- Web Development
- Web Design
- Computer Science
- For Business
- Developer Tools
- Data Science
- Machine Learning
- Code Foundations
- Mobile Development
- Game Development
- Data Visualization
Codecademy has a subscription-based pricing plan. It provides both paid and free online coding education. Most fundamental courses are free, however, if you want to learn a certain language, you can pay a monthly fee to acquire extra benefits. A-Pro plan is required if you want access to all of the instructional resources. The Pro plan includes everything in the Basic plan including additional mobile practice, material for members, certificates for completed courses, real-life projects, peer help, and fast feedback.
Domestika is an innovative online learning platform that offers paid courses in software, crafts, graphics, and more. It was established in 2017 as a learning medium with the goal of providing students with specific knowledge while also imparting useful skills. The platform's unwavering focus on creatives differentiates it. It is quite simple to use and browse, and it offers high-quality material at reasonable prices.
- High-quality content
- Certificates are available
- Learn from professionals
- The majority of courses are in Spanish
It all began with a modest exhibition of creative professionals seeking connections and opportunities to learn from one another. However, the organization then began developing online courses for customers who wished to learn from industry professionals and obtain new abilities.
The extraordinarily excellent course quality is a key element of this platform. While the standard of courses on other platforms varies greatly, all of Domestika's courses are incredibly professionally created.
Each program is offered by an industry specialist while shooting and development are handled in-house by professionals. It's a superb experience because of the amazing camerawork, secondary resources, and a thriving forum community.
There are many Domestika courses to choose from. Among the categories are:
- Photography & Video
- Marketing & Business
- 3D & Animation
- Architecture & Spaces
- Calligraphy & Typography
Domestika programs are hands-on classes you can take from the convenience of your own home. Nonetheless, the platform's majority of courses are in Spanish, with auto-generated captions in English, Portuguese, and German. Other languages, such as French, Italian, Polish, and Dutch, have lately been added.
Domestika courses generally range from $10 to $15, with frequent packages and discounts to keep pricing affordable. A single course can last anything from a few hours to ten hours or more if it is broken down into manageable portions.
Having a myriad of options is neither good nor bad. With so many excellent platforms to select from, the perfect online learning platform for you ultimately depends on what you want to learn from your online program.